Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

So this one is for one of the best daddies I know... :)

I knew he'd be a good one. When we decided it was time for kids, we were excited to begin that phase of our lives, but from day one, I enjoyed watching Heath prepare for Luke's arrival. He wanted me to get up early one morning and take a test to see if I could be pregnant, and I didn't expect to be, but I did anyway. I sat waiting for the result, and when I told him from the bathroom that it was positive, I could hear him throwing covers back as fast as he could and jetting to the bathroom. He sat down on the floor, stared at the test, shook nervously, and fought back tears. We had lots of complications early on in the pregnancy... We had plans to go to Dallas one day and pick up my car, and that morning, I started showing signs of miscarriage. My doctor told us going to Dallas wouldn't help or hurt, so we went on with our plans. Things turned from bad to worse before we got there... We signed the papers and left to meet some friends for dinner. We were both just sick about it. Heath ordered food at the restaurant that night and never even touched his fork. We were back home the next day and tried all weekend to analyze different scenarios. We went back to the doctor after the weekend, and we thought we'd seen a miracle when we saw that heartbeat. My doctor said he never expected to find one. We were thrilled! -- Heath was hands-on in putting together the nursery.. He'd take people in there to show them what we'd bought even when it was just piled up in the floor of the empty room. Towards the end of the pregnancy, he'd cup his hands around his mouth, get right up to my belly, and say, "Luuuuke, I am your faaather." :)

After Luke was born, to say Heath was "in shock" would be an understatement! He went through the motions of helping... He'd hold him when he came home, take him to the other room when I needed a break, get him out of his bed at night and bring him to me to eat. But I guess like most men, the fun for Heath started when he could get a reaction out of Luke. I think if Luke could comprehend the idea of it, he'd tell you that his Daddy is his best friend. When he hears the garage door open up, he takes off running and meets Heath at the door of his pickup. They dance and sing together, watch movies, play with tractors, swim, and play hide-and-seek. Heath will do things I don't think of... He duct taped a box and drug Luke around on the carpet, dumping Luke out at every turn from going so fast. He pops wheelies in the stroller for him and bounces him all over the place. He sits with him and shows him farm equipment on his iPad in the evenings. When Luke's been with Heath out to the farm or to run errands, he always comes in walking tall and telling big stories.

I'm thankful... extremely thankful. Watching Luke and Heath makes me want to be a better Mama. It's refreshing to see them interact - especially when I'm running low on patience. I think I've said it before, but I'm excited for this little girl to get to experience the love that Heath gives.

So, here's a look back at Heath and Luke. :)






























No comments:

Post a Comment